Thursday, October 8, 2009

Lady Bug Smash Cake

This tutorial is for a lady bug smash cake but the cake can be made any size.
The steps will still be the same, just use bigger cakes.
She's really easy to make, basically half a ball.
I do have the Wilton ball pan but I don't like how it bakes, the outsides are always really dark and hard and the inside is raw so I carve my own.
This tutorial could also be used for a turtle, of course it would be green and have legs but the shape it the same.
video

6 comments:

  1. I used 3 packages of store bought moist vanilla cake mix. I used round bowl Bakeware that is oven safe for the body and head. It took 3 bottles of red food coloring to get the shade of red that was appropriate. I had to run out to the store last minute to buy more, I didn't want a orange cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A 3d Ladybug smash cake I made in addition to the sheet cake. Body was baked in mixing bowl & head is a cupcake. All fondant. except for antennae which are those pipecleaner-like craft thingees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I decorated the cake dome to put over the cake but there was no way that cake was going to fit under there. It was still cute though so I left it on the back of the table to use to cover the leftover cake during the party but there was nothing left to cover that cake was so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A 3d Ladybug smash cake I made in addition to the sheet cake. Body was baked in mixing bowl & head is a cupcake. All fondant. Except for antennae which are those pipecleaner-like craft thingees. (-;

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Ladybug cake ideas in this section have been graciously submitted by readers like yourself. If you end up with a cool cake, or already have some cool cake photos and tips to share.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This cake goes with the previous cake, as they were doing a cake smash photo shoot a few days after the party. Vanilla cake with bubblegum butter cream filling, iced in butter cream with fondant decorations.

    ReplyDelete